Saturday, January 11, 2014

Why VMM?

Why ride a motorcycle and why write about Vipassana?

In my mind, there is no rational answer to this question. But if forced into a conversation that I cannot escape, I will offer the following to indulge my audience.
  • Riding motorcycles is fun, I miss it.
  • I've always wanted to tour on a motorcycle, like Robert Pirsig.
  • What a great way to spend more time outdoors!
  • I can talk philosophy while pretending to talk about motorcycles.
  • Social media is great! I can share my journey real time with my friends.
I try not to wonder why I want to ride a motorcycle. The origin of desires can perhaps never be explained. You can take an analytical or romantic approaches to desire, religions have policies to govern and control desires. It is a complex and multi-faceted topic, open to misinterpretation.

Life is short. Other things being equal, I plan to mindfully follow my desires to live a fulfilled life. Yes, I know "other things being equal" is different for different people. I'll have more to say on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment